How I got married – part 4

As I am curating the twitter user @weareqatar , I get some questions that aren’t easy to answer in 140 characters or less, so I’m replying here and linking there.

That question was answered in the previous parts, but I continue the story.

The men’s wedding

I got up early that morning anticipating that night, as you may know we don’t organize afternoon weddings.

I soaked myself in a hot bubble bath for almost an hour (something I don’t usually do, I prefer quick showers). I went out to the hairdresser got a haircut, a shave, lots of masks, paraffin wax, manicure, pedicure …

The road near my parents’ house was blocked (with Approval from MOI/Municipality), and a big tent was laid there, with lights, carpets, lots of sofas and chairs, porta-toilets, hand washing area, a large fridge for the soft drinks…

I just sat there on the center sofa, people started coming… With every person (man) coming in, I’d get up, and greet them… My father came ad sat on my left, people would congratulate him first. Arabic Coffee, red tea, dates, the usual things men share when they sit together, lots of chatting, lots of unrelated stories… My friends, My father’s friends, people we didn’t know, hundreds of men came by… People coming in, and going out.

When it was time for the evening prayer, the call was raised and we all got up and prayed together.

Dinner was served, 12 big plates of rice with 12 sheep on them, lots of soft drinks, salad, yoghurt, … a very traditional feast’s meal. (I couldn’t sit while people were eating, and I didn’t feel like eating, my mind was somewhere else, so I faked eating )

I was looking at the time, I wasn’t supposed to move to the women’s wedding before 11pm, I had to delay it as much as I could.

At around 10, the guys all got up and wanted to go, I had a car waiting to take me and my father. One of my friends was driving. A convoy of cars started slowly going towards the hotel, with orange flashing lights and horns blowing.

Lots of LandCruisers, lots of German cars, and many others followed. Some LandCruisers were leading the convoy, entering every roundabout (Doha only had roundabouts, no traffic signals), blocking it, and leaving way for my car to pass through. A simple hand signal to the LandCruisers was enough to go through the corniche for a second time…

We arrived at the hotel at around 11:15, her brothers were in the entrance waiting for us. I thanked all the people in the cars and told them they can go now, some went back to the tent… as a convoy, honking their horns…

Her brother told us to wait.

(yes, there’s a final part 5, follow @osamaalassiry for more info).

You may also like...

3 Responses

  1. This is a fantastic blog series – thank you for sharing your wedding story! Most expats I know – even those who’ve lived in country for many years – have never met a Qatari. For those who have, it’s rarely in an environment where it’s appropriate to ask questions about this kind of thing. Local everyday life/customs seem mysterious. I hope you’ll post more!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *